Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Pants

Yes, Apryl, they still love "Do They Know It's Christmas-time". To tell you the truth, I don't even think I remember ever hearing it until this year, but I'm also probably wrong about that. These English folk lap up that charity stuff like the left-overs in the bowl you use to make Rice-Crispie-treats. Yes, google, that is how you spell 'Crispie' (it's complaining).

Let me apologize, first of all, for not writing in quite a long time. Living in a new country can really take it out of a person, and I began working...as I was SURE I never would. Then sleeping, working, and generally, to use a Liamism "busting about" took precedence. Let me also assure you that I will soon be receiving a new camera by which I will be able to post pictures of my adventures for you to see. It's a Christmas miracle.

London has been lovely, and, surprisingly enough, I've adapted to the cold weather. It's consistent at least, and that makes quite a difference. I also bought a space heater and a man came and fixed our radiators which helped with the cold factor on the inside. The only thing I can't quite get used to is the smell of exhaust coming from the buses and cars around London. I mean, I'm used to the black stuff in my nose, it doesn't really bother me all that much, but the smell of exhaust on a cold crisp morning, it just doesn't do it for me quite yet.

The past weeks have been quite interesting. I went to a folk music show at a big old church a few weeks ago and discovered that the headlining act was a guy that went to ACU. I don't know if I even keep up with anyone from ACU any more except for Janna and Isaiah, but you might recognize the name Micah P. Hinson, and if you don't, you might recognize the name Dr. Waymon Hinson from the Bible department at ACU. Micah, while being kicked out rather infamously from ACU, has made quite a name for himself in the folk music scene in the UK. He has a fantastic voice. AND, best of all...perhaps even...most ACU of all, was the fact that he proposed to his girlfriend on stage after his show. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, and I didn't really know if it was because of bitterness, or the sheer ACU-ey-ness of it all. I spoke with her before the show, and she was really nice. Good for her...them. There was a corridor in the church with a sign posted at the entrance that explained that the corridor had been only recently re-opened after many years of being closed due to a ghost of some sorts. The hypothesis was reached after many unexplained occurrences, and the sign pleaded that if we experienced anything unexplained, unexpected, or unusual, we were to report it to someone immediately. After the first set we walked back through the corridor whose walls had been empty the first time save for the warning to find the walls now covered in ads for another music show that had ALREADY HAPPENED! It was quite unexplained AND unusual. However, we didn't report it. Cause we weren't skeered.

I am now in Manchester enjoying the cold and often-times rain, but, more importantly, I am really enjoying the FOOD. Liam's parents are quite the cooks. It's Christmas day, as you might realize, and I've just finished a Christmas dinner of: Goose, stuffing, glazed Clementine's, roasted potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, and loads of gravy...and all while wearing one of those paper crowns that you always seen English people in movies wearing on Christmas. Liam's mother and I have forced Liam to succumb to our prodding and allow us to pick out for him a nice dressy wool coat and a few sweaters (which they call jumpers, but don't be fooled, no one's buying little dresses for my boyfriend). We trapped him in a department store and cornered him with a snazzy trendy number that he reluctantly tried on. When he examined himself in the mirror, he looked like a lost puppy...however, by the end of the brainwashing session, he was excited and rather picky about what coat exactly we chose for him. The initial shopping for Liam without him ended in Liam's mother buying something for me. I too, was sabotaged into allowing her to buy me a very cute dress...it was quite bewildering to be honest.

I could write a great deal more, but, honestly, do you really want to read it all right now? I'll write more tomorrow. At the moment, I'm slinking off to the front room to curl up under a blanket and watch movies for the rest of the evening. I'm also loosening my belt...ah, hell....I'm changing into pajama pants.
Merry Christmas! EAT! and then put on some stretchy pants...or put on stretchy pants first. In any case, may your Christmas include stretchy pants!

4 comments:

Grace said...

Love you. Miss you.

Glad you are having a good Christmas and a good England.

diana said...

at liam's parents' house, stretchy pants are sort of a year-round necessity, aren't they? I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Your blog popped up as a result of a google alert on Micah P. Appreciated your comments about him and the concert and your wonderments about things. Your path and my family's path have taken similar directions, Memphis, Abilene, UK, etc. Both of our sons were born in Memphis. Glad you met Ashley and heard the concert. Yes, he is my son, and his mother and I are very proud of him and the direction he's taking with his life.

We hope to return to the UK in the near future

Blessings to you as you adjust to London.

Waymon

Anonymous said...

As it turns out, I do remember the Hinsons from Memphis, Charla and Waymon. Hum. Small world. Long time ago. Mother