Friday, February 6, 2009

Just Ridin' Around

So, I didn't build a new bike for myself. I folded, and I bought a used bike at Peddler. It is a pink 1989 Schwinn Caliente. It is awesome. Tonight, after being on team awesome at Trivia, I rode it around listening to Beethoven. It was cold, clear, quiet, and gorgeous. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since my black and pink road bike that was stolen from me when I was 13 years old. It is fun. It is the fun.

Yesterday I rode it around in Overton park from about 4:45 until 5:45, and I discovered that there is a moment right when the sun sets in the coldest moments of winter, where the sky is a pale blueish pink color...almost a fleshy color. I know that doesn't make sense, but that's the best way I can think to describe it. It's quiet, and respectful, and understanding, and...perfect.

I thought about a lot of things. I thought about all the people that have crashed through my life. There was a time when I resented the losses I had experienced, but now, more often than not, I feel a deep sense of gratitude. Every one of the people that I have loved and lost has given me something, has left me as someone greater...fuller than I was before. I lean, and it's hard to let go when it ends because of this new part of me. I'm never sure if I'm capable of carrying it around as a part of me, but I am. I am more than capable. All the times I spend complaining or worrying that I am just a product of someone else's musing, I am amazed at how many risks I have allowed myself to take. And maybe I don't move forward. Maybe I end up at the very beginning every time, but inside, I'm miles ahead. Life keeps surprising me. Love keeps changing me. Time keeps guiding my footsteps.

I'll put a picture of my bike up as soon as I find a way to charge my camera battery ('cause my battery was stolen with my computer). =)

9 comments:

amycita said...

congrats on the new bike!!! :D

also, please be very careful when you listen to music & bike at the same time. i know it makes an awesome experience (biking) even awesomer (with a sountrack!), but it's also semi-dangerous, especially in traffic.

carolinelovesyoumore said...

You are very cute and motherly, and you are correct. I listen to the music on a very low volume setting usually, and can't even hear it when I'm on busy streets, if that makes you feel any better. =)

diana said...

I worry about you riding around late at night.

carolinelovesyoumore said...

and now I have three moms.

Vanessa said...

four! 'Cause I was about to say the same thing to you about the headphones that night.

and two dads, brett really wanted you to take him up on the ride ("we have a bike rack!") : )

you're very loved, whattya gonna do?

carolinelovesyoumore said...

I guess keep counting!

Juniperrr said...

did you see any bats at dusk in the park? cause... one time... i saw bats.

carolinelovesyoumore said...

no, but....weird. I used to see bats all the time at the "tower of light" on Abilene Christian's campus...swooping and gliding about. Not here though...not yet.

Unknown said...

Hello Stranger - it's been a while since we last exchanged words.

Well i have to say - you really are a brave and amazing person. It's a shame we couldn't go bowling.

There's a lot i didn't tell you while you were here. But with that said If it wasn't for you, i wouldn't appreciate a lot of things.

We should catch up.

- Andrew.