Thursday, April 24, 2008

Imagine a World

Without The Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is a statement made by a radio station I was listening to the other day at work. I believe it was Virgin Radio. The station then proceeded to play 'Californication' before I could properly imagine a world without the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It was rude really. For a brief moment I was awash with a sense of peace...and well being. and then...BLAM...it was all over.

Today I got mad at a coworker for making a (daily) jab at Americans. I swear you to...I have never had to shoulder more insults in my LIFE than I have had to sit through in England. We were chatting about a woman who's partner of eight years (and three children) woke up one day and told her he didn't love her any more...mainly because he had met someone else. She doesn't have a job. I mentioned that she should sue, and the co-worker remarked, "Caroline, this isn't America, we can't go suing people for anything we want." This struck me as a bit ridiculous...to categorize this guy's crime as just any old thing. So I spoke up and said, "Why are you insulting me? What does this have to do with whatever you hate about Americans? I'm not chuckling about how she should sue him for spilling coffee on her lap. He left her with three children (his children) and no job. I didn't realize it was STUPID to think that perhaps he should be held accountable for the children at least." I swear to you, I have NEVER had to deal with being insulted as much as I do over here. They're always talking about how stupid Americans are and how much better the English are...they're awful. She responded to me by saying, "oh come on, it's not like I'm not going to get insulted all the time in America" (she's going to America this summer)....and well...the answer to that is...NO...we don't sit around telling tourists how much they suck. It's just not nice, and while we might be a little messed up at times...we're not total assholes. I bet Liam could count the insults he received while visiting me for three months on one hand...while the insults that I receive are countless. COUNTLESS. I'm sorry, but I really had to get that off my chest. I AM AWESOME...and my friends are AWESOME...and they are also AMERICAN. and...surprisingly...not total idiots...as they will automatically be assumed to be when visiting England. What is the freaking deal.

So there you go.
my rant for the day.
Have a good one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be sad if the world were without the Red Hot Chili Peppers...or at least some of their older music. It reminds me of listening to the radio in the van with other teenagers on youth group outings and at work camp. Back in the days when Kip was our leader at Macon. Good times.
By the way, I don't remember being insulted by anyone when I was a tourist for 3 weeks back in 1999/2000. However, the second Iraq war had not happened, and I wasn't hobnobbing with the locals as much as you are. I wonder what it would be like if I went back to visit today. And that woman needs to be smacked. I'll do it because I'm a violent American (with an Irish and Cajun temper).

Apryl