Monday, October 6, 2008

Too Strong

Man. Starbucks is ridiculous. I didn't have time to make my own cup of coffee at home today so I bought a small (tall) cup of the coffee of the day at the starbucks kiosk in Patterson...and I feel like I took a large dose of an illegal drug. I didn't even finish the cup of coffee. I'm sitting in the library reading an incredibly boring chapter in a book I have to respond to, and I can hear my damn heart beating like it's going to shoot out of my chest. Nobody needs that mess. I like the pleasant buzz that I get from my normal cup of coffee. Seriously.

I suppose it doesn't help that it's Monday, and I feel like the sky is going to fall down on top of me. It doesn't matter what I do, I keep getting covered in avalanche upon avalanche of work. I'm to the point where all I want to do is sit still and stare off into space. That's ALL I want to do. I don't need a vacation. I don't need a night out. I need a good 48 hours sitting in an empty room and staring off into the distance...okay...with occasional conversation interspersed between long stretches of thick silence. It's the damn tipping point. If Monday doesn't get better, I'm going crazy (not "going to go" oh no....I've decided...it could be fun).

I told a student today that it doesn't get clearer or easier...it gets fuzzier and much more difficult...you just get used to it. It gets funnier. Although, Starbucks makes it slightly less funny. Get this stuff out of my blood!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything I thought it would be..."

amycita said...

overcaffeination = one of my few areas of expertise. too bad i'm probably too late to help you this time around. for future reference: drink a lot of water. like, a LOT. and eat something with some protein and/or fiber. also, these directions work in reverse if you are feeling undercaffeinated and you don't have immediate access to coffee.

this amounts to what i've *really* learned in grad school.

Vanessa said...

The water helps A LOT. I told Brett about this a few weeks ago when he got over-caffeined and thought he was having a heart-attack.

...one of the things i've learned from working in coffee shops for the last umpteen years (and being a all out addict).